Further to the notifications from October 6, 2020 and April 22, 2021, construction of two new maintenance holes required for North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant Project pipe connections is starting in July 2021. The maintenance holes will be located in the West 1st Street laneway, just north of West 1st Street and east of Philip Avenue. Site preparation activities are scheduled to begin the week of July 5, with construction starting the week of July 12. This work is anticipated to be complete in October 2021.
Maintenance hole construction includes three main components: the installation of a temporary pipe bypass system to support the existing sewer line and mitigate sewer service disruptions; construction of Maintenance Hole #2; and construction of Maintenance Hole #1 (see map for locations).
Businesses will remain open during construction, and directional signage will be posted to assist customers and clients with access and parking.
What to expect:
A: Temporary Pipe Bypass (early July to October)
- Prep work for the temporary pipe bypass starts the week of July 5, and will take approximately two weeks to complete.
- Pipes will be placed to link two existing maintenance holes, one on Philip Avenue and the other approximately 200 metres east of Philip Avenue. Please see map below for location details.
- Pedestrians will be directed to use a temporary sidewalk to access businesses.
- While the bypass is connected at Philip Avenue, vehicle access to businesses will be via Welch Street.
- The bypass will be in operation during excavations and shoring required for the new maintenance holes.
- Materials will be pumped through the bypass 24/7 for approximately four weeks in July and August.
- Noise screens will be installed around the pumps to mitigate noise.
- Additional use of the bypass may be required in the case of an emergency.
- The bypass installation will restrict access to some parking (see map below for restricted area); alternate parking is available for business and customer use at 107 Pemberton Avenue and West 1st Street, east of Pemberton Avenue.
- A designated business drop-off area will be located beside the Maintenance Hole #1 work area, with vehicle access via Welch Street.
B: Maintenance Hole #2 and Connection to Existing Sewer (late-July to August)
- Construction is scheduled to start the week of July 19, and will take approximately 8 weeks.
- Laneway access for vehicles off of Philip Avenue will be restricted while the bypass is in place; access via Welch Street will be maintained.
- Work includes excavation (approximately 10 days) and installation of a new maintenance hole and connections to the existing sewer. Adjacent businesses may experience a temporary increase in noise and vibrations during this work.
C: Maintenance Hole #1 (early-August to October)
- Construction is scheduled to start in early August, and will take approximately 10 weeks.
- Construction of Maintenance Hole #1 is anticipated to take longer than Maintenance Hole #2, since additional time will be required to prepare multiple pipe connections and work around existing infrastructure.
- Work includes shoring and excavation (in August for approximately 10 days) and installation of a new maintenance hole and connections to the existing sewer. Adjacent businesses may experience a temporary increase in noise and vibrations during this work.
Drivers and pedestrians are asked to follow the direction of signage and traffic control personnel.
The majority of these activities will take place during the regular work hours of 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday. As work progresses, extended hours may be required to complete certain components outside of business hours. The District of North Vancouver has approved extended hours for less noisy work such as deliveries, maintenance, preparatory works and pipe testing. If there are changes to the work hours, advance notice will be provided to the community.
Additional West 1st Street pipe connection work is underway. Following completion of maintenance hole installation, work to install pipe connections from the two new maintenance holes, across West 1st Street to the Project site will occur in sections. Work on West 1st Street is anticipated to be substantially complete in fall 2021.
We appreciate your patience as we complete this work. If you have any questions about the work described in this notification, or to sign up for Project updates, please contact the Project’s Community Liaison Officer at 604-928-7810 or email@example.com.
North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant Project