This notice is to inform you of an upcoming concrete pour, which is required for construction of the digesters for the North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant Project (the Project). This is part of a series of pours required for the digesters. The process is time-sensitive, with concrete mix produced at the batch plant and immediately transported to the site for pouring before it begins to cure. For this reason, the Project has received approval from the District of North Vancouver to complete this work outside of regular hours. The concrete pour is scheduled to take place on Friday, August 14 from 2 a.m. to 9 p.m.
What to expect:
The concrete pour includes three main components:
- Site prep work (target timing: 8 p.m. August 13 to 2 a.m. August 14)
- Crews will clean, cover and regulate the temperature of the formwork and inside the digester
- This work must be done immediately before concrete arrives to ensure integrity of the structure
- Minimal noise, no traffic disruption
- Concrete delivery and placement (target timing: 2 a.m. to 9 p.m. August 14)
- One to two concrete trucks per hour, with trucks staged in the centre turning lane on West 1st Street
- Concrete will be pumped from the trucks as they enter the site
- Some noise disturbance expected from concrete transfer
- Some traffic disruption from trucks turning – traffic control personnel and road signs will be in place to safely direct all traffic in the area
- Curing and protection (target timing: 9 p.m. August 14 to 8 a.m. August 15)
- Crews will then cure and protect the concrete with small equipment and hand tools
- Work will be contained to the site
- No anticipated noise or traffic disruption
Trucks will be instructed to reduce idling wherever possible and access to businesses will be maintained at all times. All other Project construction activities will take place during regular working hours.
In the case of extreme weather, including extreme temperatures, or circumstances beyond the Project’s control, this work may be rescheduled to Friday, August 21, 2020, with prep work starting Thursday, August 20. If rescheduled, the pour will follow the same sequence and timing as described above. We will provide updates through email and our website should dates change.
Additional concrete pours that require extended working hours may be required through to the end of 2020 and will be communicated in advance.
We appreciate your patience as we complete this work. If you have any questions about the work described in this letter, or to sign up for Project updates, please contact the Project’s Community Liaison Officer at 604-928-7810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.