Please be advised that starting the week of June 29 through to early November 2020, work required for the North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant Project (the Project) will be underway at the Philip Avenue and West 1st Street intersection to connect the conveyance pipes and relocate the existing watermain.
What to expect
- Crews will use open cut excavation to install the conveyance pipe in two sections across the intersection. Each section includes the following work sequence from approximately late June to late September 2020:
- Cutting pavement
- Installing support pilings, which may increase noise levels and vibrations in the immediate area for approximately a week in each section while this work is underway
- Excavating material
- Once both sections are complete, the new pipe will be installed. This work is anticipated to occur in late September through to early November 2020.
- Once the new pipe is installed, support piling will be removed, the areas filled and the road will be repaved.
We anticipate some traffic delays related to this work. Please allow for extra time when travelling in this area. Please see the map below for location details.
- Traffic signal operations at the Philip Avenue/West 1st Street intersection will be temporarily disabled while this work is underway, with traffic control personnel managing the flow of traffic.
- Road signs will be in place throughout this work.
- Road users are requested to please use caution while driving or cycling in this area and obey construction signs and traffic control personnel.
- See below for key considerations:
West 1st Street:
- To accommodate single lane traffic in each direction through the Philip Avenue and West 1st Street intersection, the parking and cycling lanes will be removed on the approach to the intersection and cyclists will share the road during this work.
Philip Avenue Overpass:
- Single lane traffic in both directions on the overpass will be maintained.
- Large vehicles including trucks will have access to the overpass. Some turning restrictions may be in place for trucks depending on the location. Traffic control personnel and road signs will be in effect.
Philip Avenue from Welch Street to West 1st Street
- This area will be closed to through traffic while this work is underway.
- Access to businesses and parking for employees and customers will be maintained at all times.
- Watermain relocation may cause some temporary service impacts, we will notify businesses once connection and testing dates are known.
Anticipated work hours are Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays. Please be advised that the Project has applied for a temporary extension of work hours with the District of North Vancouver to complete quieter activities during lower traffic volumes. If approved, the Project will provide an update through a website update, email and letter to the neighbouring community.
We appreciate your patience as we complete this work. If you have any questions about the work described in this letter, or to sign up for Project updates, please contact the Project’s Community Liaison Officer at 604-928-7810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.